Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Chance and Indeterminancy: "Ultradelic"

Using the same system as before, I rolled again for a second piece:

MY RESULTS WERE AS FOLLOWS:



  1. Charcoal
  2. "Dreamscape"
  3. "Ultradelic"
  4. Cow
  5. Strong Reds (rolled for "muted" tone)



Since the red would have to be muted and my materials were restricted, I decided to flood the entire plane with a washed-out red tone:



Here would be the charcoal "pencils" that I would be using (I had totally forgotten that I had white charcoal available!):




Since the style was "Dreamscape" there wouldn't be much in the way of a set design/pattern to the composition (unlike with the "It Came From the Night!!" piece, which was heavily processed and planned before the final product). When I think of dreams, I think of something ephemeral and half-formed, yet filled with the sensations and intentions of an idea or an emotion-- something whimsical and coherent all in the same time. How could I translate a "dream" onto paper? Basically, I just splashed as much charcoal as I could onto the paper without it resulting in an inarticulate mess--and it was somewhere around here that I discovered an "udder" somewhere in the work, thereby tying it to a bovine subject:




Here would be the finished product! (Although, of course, the image quality does it poor justice):




No comments:

Post a Comment