Monday, February 9, 2015

Chance and Indeterminancy: "It Came from The Night!!"


So! First thing's first, I had to have come up with a system for determining how/what I would make with said project.

My system included using these dice:



With this system:
d(4) Media-- Charcoal(2), Gouache(1), SAI(3), Graphite(4)

d(6) Style-- Anime(1), Abstract(4), Naturalist(3), Inorganic (objects)(5), “Dreamscape”(2), Typography(6)

d(8) Title-- “The Sea Shore’s Calling”(8), “It Came From the Night!!”(6), “Thumping”(1), “Ultradelic: The Return of the Green One”(7), “Bounce Bounce! New Egg Super Happy”(3), “Flight”(5), “Soft and Sweet; Simple and Clean”(2), “Not Today”(4)

d(10)--Subject: Cow(1), Donkey(2), Orangutan(3)(?), Construction worker(4), Lunchlady (5), Doctor(6) Banana (7), Cheese (8), Ball(9), Feather (10)(Suggestions by: Semper, Evvers, wanderer, imi)

d(%) Note--colors will come from COLORED PENCILS if SAI or Gouache are not rolled for Media
10%--Strong Reds,
20%--Strong Oranges,
30%--Strong Yellows,
40%--Strong Greens,
50%--Strong Blues,
60%--Strong Violets,
70%--Heavy Highlights/Reroll,
80%--Heavy Shadows/Reroll,
90%--Muted Tones/Reroll,
100%--Heavy Saturation/Reroll
d(12)
d(20)



MY RESULTS WERE AS FOLLOWS:

  1. GRAPHITE
  2. TYPOGRAPHY
  3. “It Came From The Night!!”
  4. Ball
  5. Strong Violets



I was *not* happy at this point, as I didn't really expect to roll for Typography (which is, by far, my least favorite and least practiced expression on the list of possibilities). 


And here is where I finally sat down to attempt to put it all together!



Cleaning lines!


The preliminary outline. Typography is a lot harder than I anticipated, as it forces you to utilize the space/parameters provided in ways that stretch your imagination to the limits.


A close up of the preliminary sketch.



I forgot to take some progress pictures of the color--however, you can clearly see the poor, decimated  prismacolor pencil (which was brand-new when I started this project!)



And here is the (first) finished product! (of course, I will probably bring it into class).

No comments:

Post a Comment