Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Sentences on Conceptual Art



"When an artist learns his craft too well he makes slick art." <---Baller Comment.


However, I have to say the comment that really took the cake for me was this particular sentence here: "The artist may not necessarily understand his own art." I feel as though this particular comment builds off of other sentences previously stated in the reading, but this one here really drives home the concept of perception. In my mind, I could imagine an artist working on a piece of tragic art for the sake of creating tragedy--and yet, it only takes someone who has been through, or who is going through, tragedy to fully appreciate the concept and feel the underlying pain behind a piece built out of catastrophe. For example: an artist trying to convey the wreckage of a hurricane or a tsunami, and a victim of Hurricane Katrina happens upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment